At AcuWorks Therapeutics our priority is to deliver faster results...
Acupuncture has been a major part of primary health care in China for the last 3,000 years. It is used extensively for a variety of medical purposes from the prevention and treatment of disease, to its ability to relieve pain; in fact it is best used to control pain. However, acupuncture can treat a wide variety of common and uncommon disorders. Here is a list of disorders that can be treated using acupuncture (World Health Organization data).
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, body's physiological function depends on the circulation of energy "Qi" and nutrients through a network of channels in the body. When this energy flow becomes obstructed due to injury, trauma, pathogens or variety of different lifestyle factors, it can lead to pain, discomfort and various other diseases. Historically, acupuncture points were believed to be holes that allow entry into channels. Through the stimulation of these points, we can smooth the flow of "Qi" throughout the body, stop pain and restore balance state in the body. It has also been shown to stimulate the immune system.
How acupuncture works may be explained by the modern scientific and electrical theory... Needling the acupuncture points may stimulate the nervous system to release chemicals from spinal cord, brain and the muscles. These chemicals can modify the perception of pain, as well as stimulate the release of other neuro chemicals that help body to respond to injury and stress. Studies have shown that there is a correlation between the electromagnetic fields in the body and the acupuncture channels. This suggests that acupuncture works by influencing the body's electromagnetic fields. Acupuncture points have certain electrical properties, and stimulating these points can alter chemical neurotransmitters in the body.
In our clinic, the acupuncture treatmetment includes the following:
- Initial consultation: 75 to 90 minutes
- Detailed health history followed by one session of acupuncture treatment
- Follow up visits: 45 to 60 minutes
- Minimal follow up history and acupuncture
- Total 2 to 8 follow up visits depending on the severity of the condition
Acupuncture treatment may consist of different acupuncture techniques depending on the condition:
- Body, scalp as well as ear acupuncture
- Moxa or heat therapy to enhance the effects of acupuncture
- Creates local suction on the skin which helps improve blood flow to promote healing.
- Herbs/liniments (if needed)
- Tui Na/massage
- Electrical stimulation of the acupuncture points
- Different frequencies and intensities are used to treat differnt condition
- Helps reduce inflammation and pain control